Immediate Priorities After J.Dee Brooks Takes Office:
- Re-establish positive working relationships and open communications with local law enforcement.
- Institute a Priority Prosecution Unit where the most serious cases and most dangerous offenders (homicides, first degree criminal sexual assault, first degree home invasion, armed robbery, delivery of major controlled substances and habitual offenders who have 3 or more prior felony convictions), will be handled from start to finish by attorneys with at least 10 years of prosecution experience.
- Establish an Attorney Mentor Program where senior attorneys will be assigned to less experience assistants to review their cases, preparation and strategies each week, and review their in-court performance.
- Review and increase participation in alternative sentencing programs such as Tri-Cap, Drug Courts, Sobriety Courts, Mental Health and Veteran Courts.
- Develop and promote better victim rights services including collaboration with other human service agencies and an actual canine advocate program where a certified and specially trained dog is allowed to accompany testifying children in court.